Better support for international addresses

From reading the logs for my mapping site, I noticed that the application was blowing for many addresses outside the United States. I did a little more research, and discovered that the bug was in handling some special characters, like “ø, á, í, é, È, ž, ù, ý”.

As a test case, I created a map of points from around the world that I found in the logs. Each of these queries caused an error.

[ad]

It turns out the fix was very simple; I just needed to set the code up to be able to parse these characters. Now, the queries in my test case all work, so I think we should be all set. Of course, please let me know if you have any problems, either in the comments for this post, or via email.

This entry was posted in gmaps.kaeding.name and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

17 Comments

1. Posted August 21, 2008 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

hey! I am having trouble getting the “plot multiple locations” to work… It is giving me a “server error” each time I try.

2. Posted August 22, 2008 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

@38pages- Yeah, I made a mistake when I was pushing some new code up to the server that should fix a bug. It should be better now.

3. Alex
    Posted September 2, 2008 at 6:44 am | Permalink

Hi,
    I am interested to buy this script to use on my site. Can you please email me? Your “contact” section is not working.
    Alex

4. Posted September 7, 2008 at 1:23 am | Permalink

Plot multiple locations on Google Maps

seems to be down/crashed

5. Posted September 10, 2008 at 11:33 am | Permalink

@evan- I just tried it with a test address, and it seemed to be working fine. Could you let me know (via email: patrick at kaeding.name) what addresses you were using when the error occurred? Thanks.

6. TCF
    Posted September 25, 2008 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Hallo, first of all congratulations for the great tool. Very clever thing!
    I was wondering if by any change it is possible to change the color of the docs on the maps. I mean, if for example I would like to show on a map, the total amount of offices of my company, but marking them differently (green docs will be offices with less then 5 people, red will be offices with more then 5 people). It is possible to do such thing? Please answer me via e-mail.
    Regards, T

7. Mike
    Posted September 29, 2008 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

thanks for the great tool. I am a small businessman in the real estate field and will get great use of your tool. Donation being made. Keep up the good work.

8. Posted October 6, 2008 at 11:26 am | Permalink

@TCF- No, there is not a way to currently have different markers for different addresses. I will think about adding this feature in the future, though. I’m glad you liked the site!

9. Posted October 6, 2008 at 11:26 am | Permalink

@Mike- Thanks for the donation! I’m glad you liked the site.

10. Richard
    Posted November 7, 2008 at 1:16 am | Permalink

Hi Patrick

I emailed your .edu address but don’t know if that is current anymore. So, I figured that I’d drop a line here as well.

First let me tell you that you did a great job building the the multi-location-mapping program; be it easy for you or difficult, I wanted to thank you for all of your efforts. It works like a champ.

I do have a question and a request. I am having difficulty saving a map using the url box on your page. http://gmaps.kaeding.name/

I have tried to name the save file using a single word, eg. “David” no quotes or multiple words all in one line or separated and even, copying and pasting the web address from the top of the page into an internet shortcut once the plotting has been done but most time I’ve had no luck in recapturing the mapping results. This thing works too well so I figure that I must be the problem. I am using firefox v3 if it matters.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated…perhaps I am not holding my mouth right :-/

Now the request and the 2nd question. The map is limited to a fixed size.I am listing about 25 towns; the problem is that some of them end up in overlap in the original mapping result. I can use the zoom to separate the towns and read the bracketed text { very cool } but when I do I lose the “full” map and the rest of the towns. At this point I am trying to screen capture about 1/2 of the results and stitch the pieces back together but I am not suck a splendid seamstress. It looks like crap….. ratz…….

So, I’m wondering if you might give some thought to solving the problem.

A “sure. no prob” would be ideal but, no matter the reply, the mapping project is really nice. I think some are even trying to copy you! But I figure that I’ll dance with the one who brung me 🙂

In any case, thanks heaps for the mapping project, your hoped for help and for the time you took to read this note Patrick. Take good care.

Sincerely,

Richard Stroud

11. Posted November 9, 2008 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Hi Richard

I’m glad you like the site.

The saving should work if you submit the query again after you enter the name. So you can enter your addresses, and click submit. Make sure they all plot correctly, and then enter a name in the form below the map. Then click submit again. At the top of the page should be a link that you can use to retrieve your map (or send to other people, etc). Is this not working for you? If not, could you send me the addresses you are trying to plot? That will help me in trying to track down the cause of the problem.

Currently, yes, the map is limited in its vertical size. I plan to try to fix that soon.

Thanks,
    Patrick

12. Kevin d
    Posted February 6, 2009 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

A few months ago I used your tool to plot using latitude and longitude, now lat/long doesn’t work anymore. Did something change or am I entering coordinates incorrectly?

13. Posted February 11, 2009 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Yes, it appears that Google no longer accepts coordinates in that form. I will need to fix my code so that it doesn’t bother asking Google for the coordinates when the input that is already in coordinate form (since it really isn’t necessary to begin with).

I’m not sure when I will get the time to make this fix, but I should be able to get to it pretty soon.

I will post an update here on my blog when it is fixed.

14. Posted August 1, 2009 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Hi, firstly let me say thank you for providing such an excellent resource. This mapping tool is exactly what I require. One question, is it possible for me to ‘pass’ a list of addresses to your webpage without having to paste them in, could that be a feature you could provide?

Best Regards
    Gary

15. Posted August 19, 2009 at 3:07 am | Permalink

Hi Gary

Thanks, I’m glad you like the site. You can try writing a script that automatically sends a POST request to the server, and saves the map. I know of at least one other person who is doing that.

16. Staci Burke
    Posted November 3, 2009 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Hi, I’m a Master’s student at Pace University working on my capstone with two other students. We’re developing a Web based Forensic Evidence Management Information System. I would love to incorporate your tool into our Web Site. The idea would be to run a query against our database looking at similarities between cases and being able to plot the results on a map. At this time, the project is just beginning but the desire is to grow it into something larger in the future. My class ends in December and I’d love to have a link to your tool to plot some points from data extracted in our database. Do you think this would be feasible?

Great tool….Staci

17. Posted November 3, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Hi Staci

I think that sounds like a cool idea. Your best bet would probably be to write some code that will simulate a user filling out the map form to create a map. Give the new map a name so that it can be accessed later. Keep in mind that once a map is created, it can’t be edited or deleted, so you may want to come up with some way of naming your maps in a unique way (maybe with timestamps). After the map is created, you will have a link to it (using the saved name).

Does that make sense? Please let me know if it is unclear.

Thanks,